Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, January 21, 2024

What's In a Name?

What’s in a name? We all like to hear our names called by others. It should be a sign of recognition and, hopefully, respect. I am always amazed by people who can remember names because it is one thing that has always been hard for me.

     Yet, there are several names I do not forget, and I am saddened when I hear them used improperly in speech. My God and my Jesus actually have many names like; Abba Father, Messiah, Christ, Alpha and Omega, and Lord. I could go on and on with the list, but not now. What saddens me is when I hear God, Jesus, Christ, Lord and other names regarding my Creator and Savior used in profanity. These are all names to be reverence. 

     Actually, we are told to honor God’s name. “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”  Exodus 20:7 and Deuteronomy 5:11. Then in Leviticus 19: 12, God says, “And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord.” 

     Should I ever slip in anger or in casual conversation by the use of my God’s holy name, I am more than saddened. I am terribly remorseful. “Father, forgive me!”

  

No comments:

Post a Comment